Friday, September 24, 2010

Things We Project in Worcester, Things I Love Thursday

First of all, I now live in Belgium. However, this happened last week in Worcester, Massachusetts, the city that could, which I will always think of as my hometown, even though I didn't grow up there. But anyway. Check me out. :-)
The photo is obviously not mine, so I hope I am not breaking any rules by posting it here, but way to go Debi for such an awesome shot of an awesome shot! I only came across this because I was tagged in it on Facebook.

The event in Worcester where this was taken is called Things We Project, where several photographers displayed their work not through traditional prints, but by projecting images onto screens. I think it's a fantastic comment on the way we consume photography these days. There is a Worcester Telegram & Gazette article about the show here.

Scott Erb originally took the photo of me for his Red Room Project, which you can see on his company website here. Scott's wife Donna is also a skilled photographer. They do everything from commercial photography for businesses and restaurants (I loooove their pictures of food!) to art for the sake of art, so I recommend them for anyone who is looking for professional photography in Central Massachusetts.

But anyway. I am glad to have the opportunity to mention them here because they are really cool people and exactly the kind of forward thinkers that make Worcester a better place.

Moving on to the next item...

In an effort to get myself writing here regularly (Did I mention how I hate the word "blog?" Ew!), I'm going to follow the lead set by Gala Darling and implement a Things I Love Thursday segment. The title is pretty self-explanatory, and even though I have a feeling that more often than not I will post it on Fridays due to my schedule, I will just go ahead and honor Gala by keeping the name.

For the record, Gala fascinates me because she is so everything that I am not. I TRY, I really TRY to understand fashion and such things, and while I AM girly, I have a hard time understanding things like outfits and accessories. Actually, accessories confound me for the most part, that is, outside of sweatbands and ski hats. So anyway. T.I.L.T. Take One!

ski hats; songs that mention skaters; monkey thieves; using the spoon as a slide for the sugar cubes to land in the coffee; cooking with herbs i grew; saving snails from getting smushed in the road on my way from class to the train station when the ground is wet; beginning to understand French; doodling sweet dragons in class while still paying attention; yoga; sweatbands; getting enough sleep; croque monsieur; video skyping naomi; the movie gremlins; freshly ironed jeans; pocket frogs on iphone; writing letters to friends; solo slalom sessions; owls; crows; stretching out as far as i thought possible and then going a little further; thinking about friends i miss; doing a decent job on the quiz in my finance class; messy princess lea hair buns; cycling full-tilt to yoga and then feeling all rubbery and warm for the class; fresh-brewed iced tea; having friends over for dinner; visualizing myself succeeding; teaching slaloms to motivated students; saying "slaloms" instead of "slalom"; composting; being thrifty; houseplants; using sports metaphors (because i never thought i'd be the type!); realizing that i am my own worst critic.

Ok, so maybe that was a bit straight-forward, but I really just want to start writing something regularly that forces me to think positive. Not that I don't already, but it's reaffirming to write it down. As for the last bit, it's true. Even here I think I haven't given myself enough credit. Too often I write to rationalize a perceived failure, and that's probably not helpful for anybody, especially myself.

I'm pretty awesome at skating, so I better start acting like it, especially since I'm teaching more and more as the days go by.

That's all for now. Thanks for reading. :-)
Meg

2 comments:

  1. yay for positivity and affirmation!!!
    i think women especially struggle with giving themselves enough credit...i think it's cultural and i think it sucks!!!
    YOU ROCK!!!

    ReplyDelete