Monday, March 14, 2011

Older Slalom Skaters

Sometimes I get asked the question of how old is too old to begin slaloming. The answer is, of course, NEVER. Anyone in reasonable shape with the desire to go skating can learn how to slalom. Anyone with doubts, of course, should ask a doctor, but there is absolutely no age limit to the sport.

In fact, in my experience, older skaters often turn out to be talented, as well as easy to teach. This is, of course, awesome.

I think this comes because a lot of people have always wanted to learn to skate, but they only get the time when they are a little older and their kids, if they have them, are grown up. When they finally do start, they are focused and ready to learn. As a result, they improve very quickly, and it's remarkable to see.

Anyone who wants to learn to slalom but feels like they might be "too old," I would encourage to abandon that sort of thinking and just do it. It's bad enough that the stereotype of ageism exists, and it's even worse when we start imposing this upon ourselves! Think about it...if everyone just tried to fit into the little boxes that stereotypes dictate we should, the world would be a very boring place full of extremely boring people.

Slalomers, fortunately, are hardly ever boring. :)

"Too old" and "Not flexible enough" are two of the reasons for NOT slaloming that I often hear. They are both invalid on their own. You don't have to be young or flexible to become a good slalom skater. You just have to really want it, and then go skating...often.

Speaking of which, I'm off to skate.
Happy skating, everybody!
xoxoxo
meg

2 comments:

  1. I was 36 when started skating; less than a year after that I'm enjoying heel wheeling (and assure you that i'm not specially talented or have a good balance). It's all about practice, practice, more practice and, of course, having fun :-)

    Love your blog Meg, ¡great advices!, please, keep on writing.
    xoxoxo

    (And sorry for my bad english)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey John...at 36 you are still a kid! I will turn 60 next year...and didn't step onto skates (or a surfboard or skis) until I was already a grandfather. But I am absolutely obsessed with it! I get up very early every dry day and whirl in, out and around the cones before most people have woken up. I keep very fit...but...as you get older the injuries take longer to heal...and there HAVE been some injuries! Keep having fun!

    ReplyDelete