Friday, October 22, 2010

About this.

So, yesterday in my Finance class I jokingly mentioned something about how I write here to a classmate, and I was then persuaded by said classmate to cough up the web address, and I was then subsequently exposed to what it feels like to see someone read your blog. It was excruciating, but a good lesson in online composition. From now on I will remember that feeling when writing, and I think as a result I will choose my words wisely. It's really easy to forget that this medium is entirely public, especially when I have only told a handful of people that this exists, and I'm not exactly advertising yet. I want to get some good meaty skating advice on here before I convince people that they should care what I have to say.

That being said, this is not exactly a timeless format. When I do accumulate readers, they will only check back as often as I update. Meaning, if I only took the time to write perfectly polished material, I wouldn't update very often, and then all momentum is lost. When I think of a good blog, the first thing that comes to mind is that it is UPDATED often, not that the material is a revelation every time. In fact, I quite enjoy peoples' quirks that shine through in their prose, and I think this is one of the few written formats where an informal tone is acceptable, even a plus point.

One of my favorite blogs on the Internet is Hyperbole and a Half, which is unfailingly hilarious. However, I dare say that back in the days before she was Internet-famous, this author used to post more ordinary things, such as "My boyfriend and I went for a walk in the middle of the night in the snow. We went to the store. Here is a picture of the snow," and I really liked that sort of thing. It gave her dimension, made her relateable. Of course everything she has to say is still funny and relateable, but now everything is so...grandiose. Every post has to be some over-the-top story designed exclusively to make people LOL. Now, I get this sense upon reading this material that the author is AT WORK, and what do you know, her posts are fewer and far between, so that instead of checking her page once or twice a week, I check it once every two weeks, and isn't that completely contrary to what she wants as a blogger making her living through ad-clicks?

Personally I think that the more you update, the better, and so what if everything's not perfect. Sometimes I may end up showing my rough edges, but I think if I am going to write what I think on a regular basis, there's no avoiding that.

Well, I'm not going to write more now, but I WILL give you a preview of what is to come in the next couple of days.

Here's what's coming up:

In order: Myself @ Skatelondon 2010
Patri Agudo from I'm not sure where! but it's lovely :)
Polina Semenova, I also don't know the source
and Janin Gottschling from the Berlin Inline Games, 2010

So, as you can see...next time, SITTING TRICKS!

As always, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment